We often think of essential things that we need to live, such as food, shelter, and water, yet physical intimacy is a very important aspect of our overall well-being. many people would say Intimacy is one of the most important aspects of a relationship.. Intimacy is a natural part of life that has many physical and mental health benefits. Regular intimacy can reduce stress, improve bonding, improve mood, boost self-esteem, and more. Here are some ways intimacy can improve your mental health:
- reduce stress Physical intimacy can help reduce cortisol, which is a stress hormone. Therefore, intimacy can help lower stress levels in your body. Your body also releases oxytocin when you’re physically intimate, which counteracts cortisol levels and helps you feel less stressed.
- Increases self-esteem Being intimate can boost your self-esteem and create a healthier body image. Intimate relationships help us feel needed and wanted, which makes us feel better about ourselves. Studies show that even masturbation is a great way to improve your self-esteem and body confidence.
- enhance intimacy Being intimate with a partner can help enhance intimacy both physically and emotionally, creating a stronger bond between you. During physical intimacy, your body releases oxytocin which promotes bonding between people. We all need a sense of belonging and feeling loved in our lives. This helps us feel connected, increases self-esteem, and makes us feel happier and more needed. Being intimate with a regular partner is a great way to accomplish this.
- makes you happier When you are intimate, your body releases endorphins that make you feel happy and improve your mood. Endorphins work in a similar way to opioids that reduce pain and give a feeling of euphoria. Studies show that having sex once a week can greatly improve your overall happiness and satisfaction.
- Sleep better During physical intimacy, your body releases oxytocin and prolactin which can help you fall asleep. Feeling well-rested can help improve your mood, promote a healthier immune system, and give you more energy throughout the day. Lack of sleep has been linked to numerous mental health problems, so healthy and adequate sleep is essential for good mental health.
- Relieves symptoms of anxiety and depression Those feel-good hormones that are released during physical intimacy can help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. Dopamine, endorphins, and oxytocin are hormones released during physical intimacy that can improve your mood, reduce stress, and make you feel peaceful and more satisfied.
- Exercise Your physical and mental health are directly connected. When your body feels good, your mind will feel good too. Physical intimacy can be a form of exercise that can improve both your physical and mental well-being. When we exercise our body releases endorphins that make us happier and also decrease stress hormones. Regular sex can be a great way to get more physical activity into your daily life.
Physical intimacy (like sex) can be a great way to boost your mood and improve your mental health. However, if you are experiencing mental health concerns, it may be beneficial to contact a professional. my therapist is an online counseling service that can connect you with a licensed therapist who best suits your needs. They can provide guidance and strategies to support your mental health.