The Regulatory Analytics team sits within the broader RMS Model Success organization, working for internal and external clients, helping them better understand, interpret and accept the results and performance of RMS models.
Mar. 16, 2022 2:45 pm
Apr. 16, 2022 5:00 p.m.
The Regulatory Analytics team sits within the broader RMS Model Success organization, working for internal and external clients, helping them better understand, interpret and accept the results and performance of RMS models. Within Model Success, Regulatory Analytics focuses on projects related to the generation and interpretation of model output used to support RMS submissions to various regulatory bodies. We are a small team of fun, intellectually curious, results-oriented people whose projects require us to possess:
- Data analysis skills needed to extract, organize and visualize results from large data sets
- Catastrophe modeling and physical science knowledge needed to interpret the results and understand what drives them
- Communication skills to explain key findings to audiences from a variety of backgrounds.
Our team has a presence on both the East and West Coasts of the US and this role could be based out of RMS offices in the San Francisco or Hoboken Bay Area. If you enjoy a challenge and are looking to develop a broad skill set in an exciting and interesting business then this role is for you.
- Someone who enjoys using superior critical thinking, time management and planning skills, as well as keen attention to detail to take on new challenges and develop solutions for a variety of exciting projects.
- Someone who can work effectively independently but can also work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Someone with strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills who can communicate complex topics to audiences from a variety of technical backgrounds and business functions.
- Someone who wants to apply their technical background in the physical sciences and/or coding to a variety of practical business applications
- Someone who can comfortably and confidently handle occasional periods of business critical work and very time sensitive.
- Working with and learning from senior colleagues, develop a broad understanding of RMS catastrophe models; understand the fundamental science and methodological philosophies that underpin models and learn to apply this knowledge to interpret model results and behavior. Eventually look to use these skills to lead regulatory projects on your own.
- Learn about the RMS software and database infrastructure that RMS models use to generate data. Using this knowledge and with the guidance of senior colleagues, develop well-written and documented computer code that generates the data analyzes and visualizations required for RMS regulatory filings. Create and maintain detailed supporting documentation for this code as required by certain regulatory bodies.
- Feature external parties, such as regulators, or internal parties, such as members of the RMS product management and model development team, to summarize and contextualize the key findings of the analyzes you create. Also, be able to provide a non-technical summary explaining the results and/or the algorithm used to create those results.
- Learn about RMS as an organization and over time come to understand the main regulatory bodies that RMS works with. Plus, work with colleagues across the Model Success team to learn about RMS customers and how and why they use RMS models.
- Possess a BS/MS/PhD in one of the following disciplines or a related field:
- Meteorology, Atmospheric Physics
- Geology, Geophysics
- Chemistry, Biology
- computer’s science
- Familiarity with at least one coding language (preferably R)
- Experience using computer code and other data mining tools to extract relevant information from large data sets
- Possess excellent time management, communication (written and verbal), problem solving, and problem solving skill sets.
- Be self-directed and able to perform well within cross-functional, multi-organizational, and virtual teams.
- Experience using version control software such as GitHub
- Experience using Microsoft SQL Server or similar database administration tools
- Experience working with large and complex data sets.
- At least one year of relevant professional experience
There is a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion in insured losses in the next year and a 1% chance that an earthquake will cause $50 billion in insured losses in the next 12 months. At RMS we build simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand the risks of the portfolio due to catastrophes: natural catastrophes (hurricane, earthquake, flood), terrorism, pandemic and changes in life expectancy.
We are one of the most exciting companies you’ve probably “never” heard of, unless you’re one of our hundreds of clients in the (re)insurance, banking or hedge fund industry. We lead an industry that we help pioneer, and ultimately our work has a real impact on the world at large. How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events.
We are building on our vision by delivering future solutions in the cloud, our cutting-edge risk management platform for the global risk market. RMS will create a holistic, integrated view across the enterprise with one platform for all models, all viewpoints, and all data. They will all run as equal partners in RMS.
For more information visit www.rms.com or follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn or @rmsjobs on Twitter.
RMS prides itself on being an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partnership status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification. protected by applicable local, state or federal laws.