Former Virginia police officer testifies against former colleague in January 6 trial

Jacob Fracker told the jury how he, Robertson and Robertson’s neighbor had traveled to Washington together and how he and Robertson had gone to the Capitol and had their picture taken together.

Fracker, who pleaded guilty in March to one count of conspiracy for his actions on Jan. 6, agreed to testify against Robertson as part of a plea deal with the government.

“I absolutely hate this,” Fracker said at the start of his hour-long testimony, later telling the jury that he had nicknamed Robertson, who used to be a close friend, “Daddy” and Robertson would call him “Son.”

Robertson faces six counts for his actions surrounding the attack on Capitol Hill, including obstructing an official proceeding, trespassing on restricted grounds and obstructing law enforcement.

Fracker told the jury that he had driven with Robertson and his neighbor to DC at Robertson’s behest and that Robertson had brought gas masks for each of them.

Fracker said the three men had crossed the barriers and seen police trying to stop rioters as they walked from the Stop the Steal rally to the Capitol that day. Before reaching the building, Fracker and Robertson became separated while walking up several flights of stairs outside, he testified.

“I walked through a door, looked around a little bit,” Fracker said. He said he “took video in the main lobby area” before looking for Robertson.

When he was inside, Fracker testified that he was “full of adrenaline” and thought “if we could make a big enough fuss, the government would listen” and nullify the election results.

After reconvening inside the Capitol, Fracker and Robertson took a photo together as “kind of a check-in photo for one of our friends,” Fracker said. The two joined a crowd, singing and cheering in the Capitol Crypt, and started to leave when officers arrived and ordered them out, Fracker testified.

According to Fracker, on the car ride back to Rocky Mount, the couple discussed the subject of an upcoming civil war.

After being contacted by the FBI and told to turn himself in, Fracker drove to Robertson’s house and gave Robertson his phone. “He was terrified by the videos and the images in it,” Fracker testified. Robertson put the phones in an ammunition can and told Fracker something like “problem solved,” according to Fracker.

He also testified that Robertson had paid him a lump sum of $30,000 but did not specify what the payment was for.

Two DC police officers also testified Wednesday, telling jurors how they had been called in as reinforcements for the police protecting the Capitol and had to fight their way through the crowd of rioters, who attacked them with items such as cement, rocks, chemical spray and sticks

One officer, Noah Duckett, testified that he and another officer had been struck by a man holding a stick, whom the prosecution claimed was Robertson, as they tried to pass.

“We literally have no choice but to stick together,” Duckett said of his unit of 25 to 30 police officers. “They have the numbers, they (had) the advantage.”

The trial will continue Thursday, with more testimony from Fracker and DC police officers expected.

Leave a Comment