Sacramento shooting: Suspect to appear in court as complex investigation continues. Here’s what we know

Dandrae Martin, who was identified as a “related suspect,” will appear in court on Tuesday after being booked on charges of assault and unlawful possession of a firearm, according to police.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said in a statement posted online that Martin, 26, has not been charged with murder. She said that she believes authorities will eventually arrest more people.

“The investigation is very complex and involves many witnesses, videos of numerous types, and significant physical evidence,” Schubert said. “This is an ongoing investigation and we anticipate more arrests in this case.”

Martin was being held without bond, online prison records show. CNN has been unable to contact an attorney for him.

In an emotional vigil Monday night, the Sacramento community and public officials expressed their frustration over repeated instances of gun violence in the city and called for action to prevent more shootings.

Here’s what we know about the shooting so far.

How the shooting unfolded

The shooting happened shortly after 2 a.m. in a bustling part of downtown, just blocks from the California State Capitol, Sacramento City Hall and the Golden 1 Center, where the city’s NBA team plays in House.

A video posted on social media appears to show an altercation before the shooting, police said in a statement. “We are currently working to determine what relationship, if any, these events have to the shooting,” the statement said.

During the initial investigation, detectives found more than 100 shell casings and discovered at least three buildings and three cars that had been hit by bullets.

“There were a lot of shots fired that night, hence the complexity of the investigation,” Police Chief Katherine Lester told CNN affiliate KCRA.

Lester has said that there were multiple shooters and that a big fight ensued before the shots were fired. A stolen gun was among hundreds of pieces of evidence found at the scene, he said Sunday.

Police said they served search warrants on three homes and at least one handgun was recovered. Authorities said they have received more than 100 video or photo files on an information portal.

Victims as young as 21

The Sacramento County coroner’s office on Monday identified the six victims who died:

-Johntaya Alexander, 21

–Melinda Davis, 57

–Sergio Harris, 38

– Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32

— Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21

–Devazia Turner, 29

The tragedy has devastated the families of the victims, confounded the community and angered those frustrated by another mass shooting.

“My son was a very lively young man,” Harris’s mother, Pamela Harris, told CNN affiliate KOVR. She said that her son smiled all the time and never bothered anyone.

“And for this to happen, it’s crazy,” he said. “And I got to the point right now (where) I don’t know what to do. I don’t even think this is real.”

Second mass shooting in Sacramento in recent weeks

The incident was the second mass shooting in Sacramento in the last five weeks. On February 28, a man shot dead three of his children and another man in a church. The gunman took his own life, authorities said.

Mayor Darrell Steinberg said solutions, not wishful thinking, are needed to help change the trajectory of gun violence in America.

“Thoughts and prayers are not enough,” he said. “It’s time to have a healthy conversation (about) guns in America. We have a disease, it is a disease in our country, it is a disease in our culture.”

Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr says moments of silence won't solve gun violence

He said Sacramento will continue to invest in programs focused on early intervention and violence prevention for youth.

“In our city, we will take stock and do everything we can, on the investment side, on the public safety side, on the gun side, to protect the public,” Steinberg said.

Governor Gavin Newsom released a statement saying “the scourge of gun violence continues to be a crisis in our country, and we must resolve to end this carnage.”

And President Joe Biden called Sacramento “another community devastated by gun violence” and called on Congress to act on gun control measures.

“In a single act in Sacramento, six individuals were killed and at least a dozen others injured,” Biden said in a statement. “Families changed forever. Survivors left to heal wounds both seen and unseen.”

CNN’s Susannah Cullinane, Holly Yan and Stella Chan contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment